WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR AN EXCEPTIONAL HEAD CHEF TO JOIN AND LEAD OUR ESTATE’S KITCHEN.
Walwick Hall is a privately owned boutique country house 10-bedroom hotel with spa. Chesters Stables is a collection of family suites housed in the original stables of the estate. Together these two businesses form the hospitality offering at Walwick Estate.
Since opening in 2015, Walwick Hall has received high-level praise from international travellers, UK-based holidaymakers, and the local community around Northumberland.
The business now needs a Head Chef to lead and develop our existing team and food offering: Working with the Head of Commercial Development to take the business forward and create a culture of training and development within the team in line with AA Red Star Standards. The Head Chef will report to the Head of Commercial Development.
The Head Chef is responsible for all aspects of the Estate’s kitchen operations, day-to-day staff management, supplier liaison and meeting guest expectations. He or she should be an ambassador for the brand, provide leadership and create a culture of development and respect within the team.
The Head Chef is expected to foster excellent working relations with the key operators within the business, such as the Resident Manager, Restaurant Manager, Head Housekeeper, Gardener and Maintenance Assistant, Head Receptionist and Spa Therapists. Menu planning, team training, cost control and understanding how to manage an effective GP% are key elements of this role. A firm grasp of food safety, HACCP, and Allergen Awareness is vital. Working with our external food safety consultant to ensure a five-star food hygiene certificate.
HC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee the effective daily running of the Kitchen operations at Walwick Hall, including managing the chefs and Kitchen porters to ensure daily and weekly cleaning tasks are completed without fail.
• Ensure daily records of food safety are kept, including fridge temperatures, hot holding, and blast chilling.
• Create menus to meet the needs of the business, fully costed in advance with all allergen and HACCP information detailed and recorded.
• Ensure full compliance with Estate operating controls, SOP’s, Food Hygiene policies, H&S procedures, GDPR, Staff & Guests Welfare, fire regulations.
• Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times with guests, members, staff and suppliers alike.
• Work with the Resident Manager to resolve operational challenges or guest feedback issues.
• Attend regular P&L meetings with the Head of Commercial Development to analyse business performance and address issues collaboratively.
• Develop improvement plans and, where necessary, carry out cost savings while maintaining customer service levels.
• Create a collection of food suppliers from the local area whilst making the most of the Kitchen Garden produce.
• Lead the team recruitment with support from the Head of Commercial Development.
• Ensure consistent coverage in the kitchen operation and that all team members are trained and briefed on the menu and food safety requirements.
• Be aware of our competitors locally and nationally to ensure that we are staying ahead in terms of customer experience and enhancements
• Responsible for safeguarding the quality of operations (internal & external audits).
• Responsible for legalisation, Occupational Health & Safety Act, fire regulations and other legal requirements, including GDPR.
A passion for using the best produce available and the ability to use it profitably to give guests a great experience. Available to work when needed, including weekends, holidays, and nights.
Food Safety Level 3 certification.
The ideal candidate will have 8-10 years of industry experience and will be an existing Head Chef or aspiring Sous Chef. You will have previously worked in a rural Hotel setting and cooked at a minimum of two AA rosette level for a minimum of two years as Head Chef or Sous Chef.
£39,500pa based on a 48-hour contract.
James O’Donnell – Head of Commercial Development